Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chair Challenge

So when I was in Dallas the Dallas Art Museum had a neat exhibit of "functional art," including a TON of chairs.  I considered having my 5th graders finish their perspective projects with a chair drawing (the seat would be in perspective) but decided instead to have my 6th graders take the Chair Challenge.

We started by looking at this image of some of the chairs I saw in Dallas.  We discussed how different each was and the different purposes they could serve.  
Next we talked about the show Shark Tank  and how the investors decide whether or not to support the inventors ideas.  They were informed that over Easter Break they would be creating a new "art chair" and that when they returned to class we would be voting on the top two chairs.  Since we don't have the money to create the chairs, their reward was a free clay project for the top two chairs in every class.  

We started with this worksheet (planning/grading sheet)
Now the challenging part was that they had to create a chair that meet specific requirements.  They had to write down their phone number on their planning sheet.  For each number there was an odd/even option.  
Number 1 ~ odd number = outside, even number = inside
Number 2 ~ odd number = woman, even number = man
Number 3 ~ odd number = new materials, even number = recycled materials
Number 4 ~ odd number = stationary, even number = portable.  

They could present their chair idea in any manner.  Online drawing, PowerPoint, hand drawn visual, tri-fold brochure, model etc.... Yesterday was my first day and I was BLOWN AWAY!  They did so awesome! Here are the chairs that made their way to my room before school even started.  
They totally exceeded my expectations.  
**Disclaimer:  Of course I had some students who simply created a pencil drawing, but even they put a lot of thought into what was happening with their chair so it would "meet the requirements." ** 





1 comment:

  1. Super cool! One of my most memorable assignment in high school was to design a chair in the style of an artist. Of course we couldn't make a life size chair either, but I enjoyed the challenge of using the materials available, like wire and tissue paper, to make a chair in the style of Antoni Gaudi.

    ReplyDelete