Monday, January 27, 2014

Paint Samples= Value City

My husband is runs his own painting company so he spends a lot of time at our local Diamond Vogel store.  At the end of last school year Diane (from the paint store) gave him a LARGE BOX of discontinued color paint samples.
I started thinking about what to do... value scales for sure.  sorting by color game?  perfect cartoon squares?  bulletin board borders? 
What I came up for the first round (yes there was that many) are these value scale cities.

As students finished an assignment they choose 5 paint samples and started drawing their city information on them.  I didn't even tell them what we were going to do until the next week.  

The next week we started class talking about value.  In every class but one, a student blurted out "were those papers we drew on last week a value scale?"  Yes! Yes, they were.  The students were also given the challenge of creating a changing value background.  That means their sky area needed to go from light to dark or dark to light.
 They did a great job and I loved the stories they wrote out about what is happening in their city.
Check out the grade sheet here. 

You can check out more images at Artsonia.


2 comments:

  1. These are so great! I wish someone would donate paint chips to me, haha! I can't wait to try out this lesson- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what grade did you do this with? I can see using it with my younger grades. Such a fun way to use the paint sample strips (I have an entire box of them!)

    ReplyDelete