Yesterday I was gone putting up the district art show (more on that later) and Mrs. Couch taught the lesson... she said the kids LOVED it so I thought I would give it a go today.
I have decide that this is how I am going to start 5th grade art next year.
- Start the class by sharing that we are taking a test. We are testing their listening and creativity.
- Give them the directions, one at a time.
- Let them finish the drawings with crayons (or any medium)
- Starting with 15-20 minutes left in class tell them they have to do the "written" part of the test, but that they can work together. I made them answer 4 questions... 1) did everyone at your table follow the directions? 2) how are your images the same? 3) how are your images different? 4) how does this project relate to everything we do in art class?
- With the last 6-7 minutes we share answers.
- I ended with a small discussion on "why are grades in art different from student to student if there is no wrong way to solve the problem?" They told me that it was because of how hard people worked on their projects.
The projects turned out nice but I am most impressed with their answers to #4.
- It is original... we each get to do drawing our own way.
- You have to listen to directions and use creativity.
- We get to be creative... there are no wrong answers
- We have to concentrate and listen.