Monday, April 16, 2012

Portrait Project

For a while I have been writing that I was going to tell you more about this portrait project idea that I had... well here it is.

#1  I created 25 different "cards" with each one showcasing a different style of portrait.  It had a photo example, a title and a written definition.  I also listed the medium that would be used.


#2  The students "drew" a card to find out what their portrait style would be.  I allowed them to trade among themselves at their tables.

#3  The students spent 3 weeks working on designing and creating a self-portrait that reflected the style of their card.  They finished the lesson by writing an artist statement for their display.







Reflecting on the lesson, it was really neat to see everything happening at once BUT it was too much.  Every medium was out.  Every student was working on something different.  Everyone needed something.  However, I loved all the unique ways they solved the "problems."  If I do this lesson again, I will be drawing a single "card" for each class period.  






10 comments:

  1. These works are really original! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great project! Do you have the cards you made available for download? TPT or Teacher's Notebook? I'd love them for my class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if these cards were available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have saved them but I didn't. I printed a copy and then we transferred to a google school and I didn't keep them in the switch. Sorry.

      Delete
  4. You can scan the cards, our copy machine does this, and upload them on on to your google drive. I would love a copy of the cards too. Christianne K-8 Art teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please provide a list of the different portrait styles that could be selected from? I teach a small high school class that this project would be great for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall all of them and I no longer have the cards (they were pretty beat up after 300 students used them). I Googled self portraits, selected the images I liked and gave them titles myself. Some were based on art styles, some were based on images that I liked by more modern artists.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea and I bet the student's enjoy getting to trade/choose the style of portrait they will do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the arts/design of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha arts like you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check these Art documentaries, also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete