Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Radial Balance, Different Ways!

One of my favorite projects this year had my students creating 18x18 radial designs. They were BEAUTIFUL! 
I gave the challenge and then they could select from oil pastel, tempera paint or colored pencils to complete their image. They could also choose warm colors, cool colors, color wheel order or monochromatic color scheme. The variety and beauty was amazing. 
color wheel order with oil pastels

monochromatic "batik" with oil pastel
 
cool colors with tempera paint

complimentary colors with oil pastel

You can check out more at our Artsonia site.

A while later we had one of those 20 minute class periods that EVERY art teacher loves. 
We used it as an opportunity to review radial balance. Students used the app Amaziograph to create radially balance "coloring pages." We uploaded them to artsonia and students can print them off to color them. 

I also took this as an opportunity to try out a website I had heard about. Spoonflower is a fabric site but I heard they did a really neat job of printing fabric you design. I downloaded a few of my students designs and gave it a shot. I was really impressed. 
Ashytn's design on artsonia, 
printed out and colored and 
printed by Spoonflower on fabric!

Here is a colored version...
The color is pretty intense and I am going to see how it washes up but I am very impressed. 
Thank you Spoonflower for helping my students take their art work to another level. 


No comments:

Post a Comment